Before You Begin:
You must have access to this dialog box to perform this task. If you do not have access to this feature, a pop-up window will be displayed when you click the button, informing you of this fact. Contact your Customer Support representative if you would like to activate the Analytics feature.
Use the PatentOptimizer Analytics feature to run an analytics profile for U.S. utility patents and PCT applications meeting your specific criteria (the cite list you've searched for, predetermined patent citations, or local documents you've imported). Once you click the Profile tab, you can interact with the subsequent filter (those across the top of the dialog box) and view (those across the bottom) tabs to refine what you're seeing, and then run a Report, Claim Chart, or Check Refs on your results.
Note: On occasion the PatentOptimizer tool will not be able to process or parse some patents. When this occurs, a pop-up window will appear just after all processing has completed, listing all of the patents that were not processed.
1. Open a patent document.
2. Click the Analytics button on the PatentOptimizer toolbar of Microsoft® Word, Microsoft® Edge, or Firefox.
3. Determine which patents you want to analyze:
|Enter patent citations directly in the Patents
|Click directly into the Patents box, then type or paste a previously copied list of patents into the box.
|Search for patents using the Search tab
|Enter one or more filter criteria onto the Search form, then click the Search button.
For example, if you wanted to find 25 patents associated with Google, you would:
|Import documents using the My Documents tab
|Follow these steps:
a. Click the My Documents tab
b. Select the number of maximum documents you'd like from the Max Docs dropdown list
c. Click the Import button
d. Use your operating system's folder selection tool to select the folder where your
patent documents are stored
e. Click the OK button
|Open a set of previously saved patents
|Click the Open button and choose the set you want to use.
|Save the patents you're viewing for future use
|Click the Save button.
4. Remove any items you do not want to analyze from the Patents box by selecting and deleting them.
5. Click the Run Analytics Profile button when you are ready to analyze the listed Patents. A performance warning message displays to alert you that all parts, claim elements, terms, phrases and citations found in only one patent will not be shown. Click OK to continue.
Tip: To increase performance speed and performance, and disable this warning message, reduce the number of patents to be analyzed, or navigate to the Options tab and adjust the Optimize Results setting.
6. Click the Profile tab.
7. Use the filter tabs (those across the top of the dialog box) and their checkboxes displayed to select different items to filter your results. For instance, if you want to see only those patents that have a specific Assignee, Part, and Thesaurus Term/Phrase, you would:
- Select the appropriate Assignee checkbox on the People & Org filter tab
- Select the Specification filter tab
- Select the checkbox for the Part you're interested in
- Select the Thesaurus filter tab
- Select the checkbox associated with the Term/Phrase you're interested in, then select any Term/Phrase Variants that are appropriate
- Click the Selection Summary filter tab to see all of the different selections you've made
- Click the Clear All button to clear all of the selections you've made and start again
- Click a column heading to sort that column's contents, then type a letter to find that letter within the sorted column.
Tip: Clicking once sorts in ascending order (A-Z or 1-10); clicking a second time sorts in descending order (Z-A or 10-1).
- Filters selected in multiple filter tabs are ANDed together; within each filter, selections are ORed
- Use the Select All and Clear All buttons at the bottom of the dialog box to select or clear all of the items currently displayed in the view tabs (those across the bottom of the dialog box)
- Select the Filter Counts Only checkbox to display only the number of items available with the filters applied, not the total number of items available
8. Choose your next action:
|If you want to...
|Run a PatentOptimizer Analytics Report...
|a. Click the Report button
b. Select Analytics Report
c. Select which type of items you want to include: All Items; Filtered Subsets; Selected Items Only; Selected Pubs/Docs
d. Use the checkboxes to select which worksheets you want to include in your
e. Click OK
|Run a Claim Chart report...
|a. Click the Claim Chart button
b. Use the options and checkboxes to specify how you want your report to be generated
c. Click OK
|Check references for the items you've selected...
|Click the Check Refs button and continue with one of the tasks available for that page, as shown in the How Do I...? box within the help system.
9. Click the Close button when you are finished using this dialog box.